The challenge was to make a device from the materials provided which will fire a table tennis ball into the air. The device may delay the firing of the ball up to 40 seconds after being triggered. The ball may also have attached to it anything which delays its descent. The device must not be more than one metre high.
You will have
• Eight full sheets of newspaper
• 1 table tennis ball
• 6 rubber bands (size 16: approx. 64mm long x 1.6mm wide x 1mm thick)
• 4 ice-block sticks
• 2m of string
• 4 drinking straws (approx. 210mm long by 4mm diameter)
• 2 pieces of approx. A4 size card
• 2 paper clips
• one 10m roll of 15mm wide sticky tape
• one pair of snips
• You will have 20 minutes to build the device.
Here are some of the results and teams in action.